St. Charles Parish School Closed due to Coronavirus Update 3-18-20
Since our last communication on Monday, March 16, we have once again been updated by Governor Tony Evers regarding COVID-19 and school closure. According to the latest order (March 17), schools "shall remain closed for the duration of the public health emergency or until a subsequent order lifts this specific restriction." This means that the previously stated April 6th return date is no longer valid, and a specific return date has not been identified. We will continue to update you as we receive notification.
Yesterday's learning packet pick-up went extremely well. Thank you to all of the parents and relatives for stopping by and picking up the work teachers prepared for students. We sincerely appreciate it!
As a staff, we are working around the clock to make the transition to this new style of teaching and learning as smooth as possible for students, parents, and teachers. Thank you for your patience as we work through things and continuously assess and make adjustments along the way.
This is new to all of us, and it will take some time to adjust and figure things out. Some of the tech-y stuff can be initially overwhelming, but after a few days, it will all become natural. Some suggestions for a successful transition are:
- Create a schedule at home that mimics the school day. Include snack, brain breaks, recess, and lunch times, too! Students thrive off of structure, and by creating a schedule, students can more easily fall into a healthy routine.
- Create a schedule for use of technology. There are no live lessons being done, only recordings (limited number of devices, as well as for Safeguarding purposes), so there aren't any specific times students need to be on a device. This is especially helpful for homes with numerous children.
- Designate a regular study/work space area where materials can be kept.
- Communicate with your teacher often and don't be afraid to ask questions. They want to hear from you!
- Take your time!
- Have fun learning in a new way!
- Above all...do the best you can! We know this is totally new, and there will definitely be bumps along the way. But don't worry, we've got your back!
Our Guidance Counselor Stephanie Delmore also has some thoughts to share with you about how to navigate all of these new changes and maintain balance and normalcy in your homes. Click HERE to hear from her!
A big shout out to the teachers for the amazing work they have done and will continue to do, all the while managing their new situations at home.
I am extremely proud of the St. Charles community for the way we have come together during this unique and challenging situation. I commend you for your flexibility, understanding, patience, and compassion. Thank you for your continued support and encouragement.
Please know that we are praying for you and those that are most affected by this health emergency. I hope you and your family are doing well and are finding ways to make this all work. I miss seeing our students, especially at the door and saying good morning.
Together, we will get through this.
St. Charles Parish School