Congratulations on taking the steps toward your child’s baptism!
“Go therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
- Matthew 28:19
Jesus was baptized and taught his Apostles to do likewise. Through baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God. We become members of the Body of Christ as we are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission. We can’t wait to welcome you or your infant/child into the life of Christ and our Church through Baptism! Please contact the Parish Office at 262-367-0800 to begin the process with Father Nick Baumgardner, Associate Pastor of St. Charles Hartland.
The Baptism Process
· Speak with Father Nick about the baptism process at St. Charles
· Register your infant/child for baptism
· Register the Godparent(s)/Sponsor(s)***
· Have Godparent(s)/Sponsor(s) fill out their forms and have their pastor sign and seal them.
· After the forms are complete, contact Erika Rutley at 262-367-0800 to schedule your child’s baptism
NOTE: Please make sure to review all of the requirements** for the Godparent(s)/Sponsor(s) BEFORE selecting the individual(s).
· Godparent/Sponsor must be at least 16 years of age.
· Godparent/Sponsor must be in good standing with the Catholic Church.
· Godparent/Sponsor must be a practicing Catholic (Attend Mass weekly on Sundays, and on Holy Days of Obligation).
· Godparent/Sponsor must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation
· If married, Godparent/Sponsor must be married in the Catholic Church.
· Godparent/Sponsor cannot be the infant’s/child’s parent.
· Each infant/child must have one, and may have two, valid Godparent(s).
· Godparent/Sponsor will give support to the infant/child being baptized by helping him/her lead a Christian life and by helping the parents of this infant/child in their duty as Christian parents.
**These requirements come from the Code of Canon Law of the Roman Catholic Church; you can view the Law of the Church by visiting the Vatican Website.
We are pregnant or about to adopt a child, how soon can we start the Baptism Process?
Congratulations on your pregnancy or adoption! We encourage families to not delay and start the baptism process while pregnant or aftering being matched.
We are first time parents and want to have our infant/child Baptized. What do we need to do?
Congratulations on the birth of your child! St. Charles is honored to serve parents seeking Baptism for their child(ren). All first-time parents are required to participate in a preparation process that explains the Godparent requirements and responsibilities, the beauty of the Rite of Baptism and the parental duty to raise children in the practice of the faith. First-time parents must complete this process prior to scheduling the Baptism.
Please contact our parish office with questions or fill out the above infant/child inquiry form to start the process.
We have already baptized a previous child and now seek Baptism for our new baby/child. What do we need to do?
Congratulations on your new baby and your growing family! St. Charles is honored to serve parents seeking Baptism for their children. No preparation is required for parents who have already baptized an infant/child. To schedule your infant/child’s Baptism, please contact our parish office with questions or fill out the above infant/child inquiry form to start the process.
I am an adult who is considering being Baptized and/or becoming Catholic, what do I need to do?
We are excited that you are interested in knowing more about the Catholic faith. St. Charles invites you to join others who are seeking to know more about Jesus and His Church as you discern answers to your life and faith questions through our vibrant Becoming Fully Catholic process. Please contact Jess Panlener for more information.